Concern Worldwide (UK) is a Company Limited By Guarantee And Not Having A Share Capital (Registered in England and Wales with registered number 4323646) which has been granted Charitable Status by The Charity Commission for England and Wales (Registered Number 1092236) and The Office of The Scottish Charity Regulator (Registered Number SCO38107). The Registered Offices of Concern Worldwide (UK) are 13/14 Calico House, Plantation Wharf, London, SW11 3TN. Concern Worldwide (UK) is a subsidiary organisation of Concern Worldwide an Irish Registered Charity.
Primary school debates
Primary school debates
Debating is fun, noisy and a great way of airing different points of view! Last year, over 400 primary schools were involved in debates nationwide. Here’s how your school can get involved.
How will students benefit?
- Learn to speak in public and in front of their peers
- Develop cognitive and language abilities, as well as skills in research and debating
- Gain a deeper understanding of the global issues affecting millions of people
- Receive a certificate of participation.
Check out students from Light of Christ N.S, Dunmore East and Scoil Mhuire N.S Gowran speaking about how they enjoyed taking part in the Concern Primary Debates.
Debates Motions 2018-2019
Below are the motions for this academic year. Your class will not be debating all motions. Your local education centre will advise which motions your class will be debating
- Climate change is not our problem
- Genetically modified food is essential in the fight against world hunger
- To be serious about climate change is to give up eating meat
- People should be fined for not recycling
- Irish youth are doing their fair share to end poverty and hunger in the developing world
- The Sustainable Development Goals will not be achieved by 2030
- Food waste should be made illegal
- We shouldn’t have water charges in Ireland
- Ireland should do away with cars
- Today’s children will inherit a better world
To help you get started, download our list of tips and research links here.
Unsure how to get your team started and what adjudicators will be looking for? Use our handy training video here in conjunction with the marking sheet to help students understand the rules and regulations while also learning how to form a speech.
Check out a full-length video of the Kilkenny/ Waterford regional final and what a Concern Primary Debate entails!