Where we work
Our annual report
Knowledge Matters: Emergency Directorate in Concern – Special Issue to coincide with World Humanitarian Day 2023
Welcome to the latest edition of Knowledge Matters; a special edition from Concern’s Emergency Directorate compiled to coincide with World Humanitarian Day 2023.
Every year on 19th August, we remember all those humanitarians who have lost their lives while providing assistance to people affected by crises. This year, the theme is The Human Race with the slogan ‘it takes a village’. The focus is on bringing people together from all walks of life to work collectively to ensure the survival, well-being and dignity of people affected by crises.
This special edition of Knowledge Matters includes a diverse range of articles on issues that the Emergency Directorate has a responsibility for:
- The article by Amy Rose McGovern highlights the successes and challenges of the Joint Emergency Response in Ukraine (JERU) with our Alliance2015 partners Welthungerhilfe and Cesvi
- Sittna Elawad discusses her role as Security Focal Point (SFP) in Khartoum, which has taken on added importance during the ongoing conflict in Sudan
- A number of articles showcase our Protection and Safeguarding work in DRC, South Sudan and Ethiopia
- Richard Bold and Thomas Mayeun focus on community-centred DRR, with a South Sudan example
- Simon Brown from the Supply and Logistics Unit shows how ECO driving can help us to reduce our transport emissions