You might be getting your first mortgage, have a new addition to the family or maybe feel like it’s time to prepare for the future. An up-to-date Will can help to ensure that your wishes are carried out and that your loved ones are provided for in the way you intend.
To help you prepare for it, please refer to the following guidelines:
- Find a solicitor - if you don't already use a solicitor, the Law Society provides a directory of registered solicitors:
England and Wales: www.lawsociety.org.uk
Northern Ireland: www.lawsoc-ni.org
Isle of Man: www.iomlawsociety.co.im
The Channel Islands: www.jerseylawsociety.je
- Make a list of all your assets ie property, car, savings, insurance policies etc. and their approximate value.
- Make a list of all your liabilities ie mortgage, other loans, overdraft, credit cards etc. You can download a copy of our Will planner to help you think about what you have to leave and who you would like to remember in your Will. This will save you time when meeting your solicitor and will make the process more straightforward.
- Consider who you would like to benefit. After taking care of your loved ones, think about which charities you may want to leave a gift to.
- Consider who you would like to appoint to carry out the instructions in your Will (your executors) and ensure the selected persons would be willing to act in that role
- Consider who you would like to appoint as guardians for your children if they are under 18 years of age.
- Visit your solicitor to discuss your plans and to allow him/her to prepare your Will. They should advise you in terms of the tax implications of leaving legacies to family, friends or charities. Before your appointment, check with them that you have all the relevant documentation.
- If it is something you would like to do, please consider including a gift to Concern. If you have already drawn up your Will, you may still be able to add a gift to us by using a codicil (a legal document to amend your Will). Please talk about this with your solicitor, who will be able to advise the best option for you. You can download a copy of a codicil on the link below.