Where we work
Our annual report
Increase your donation by 25% by signing up to our Retail Gift Aid scheme.
We are operating the Retail Gift Aid scheme at our Ormeau Road and Antrim Road shops in Belfast. You can find our shop locations here.
Every donation you give us helps us tackle extreme poverty, malnutrition and people in extreme crisis, but if you Gift Aid it then it can do so much more. For example; if your donation raises £20, it will be worth £25 through the Retail Gift Aid scheme, an extra £5 at no cost to you!
How does it work?
Visit one of our participating shops to donate your pre-loved items and complete a donor declaration. This will confirm that:
- You wish Concern Worldwide (Northern Ireland) to act as your agent in selling the goods and agree to a commission of 2% for this service.
- You agree to us keeping the net proceeds of the sale of the goods
- You are a UK taxpayer and you wish the Concern Worldwide (Northern Ireland) to reclaim the tax on all donations you have made
- You are not acting as a business in selling your goods
- Any unsold items will be disposed of and cannot be returned
You will be given a Gift Aid Donor Card with your unique donor number. You can bring this card with you every time you donate goods so that we can claim Gift Aid, but don’t worry if you forget we can find your unique donor number for you.
We will let you know how much you've raised and confirm if necessary that you are happy for us to treat the money raised as a Gift Aid donation. If you have any questions about our Retail Gift Aid scheme, please get in touch by telephoning 02890331100, or email [email protected].
Keeping your records up to date
Please notify us if you want to withdraw from the scheme, change your name, home address, contact preferences or if you no longer pay sufficient tax. You can do this by contacting our Supporter Care team by telephoning 02890331100 or emailing us at [email protected].
Retail Gift Aid FAQ’s
What is the Retail Gift Aid Scheme?
If you are a UK taxpayer, charities can claim from HMRC an additional 25p for every £1 cash donation received from you. Goods given to charity shops do not qualify for Gift Aid, however, the Retail Gift Aid Scheme allows us to sell the goods on your behalf. When you sign up to the scheme you agree that we can keep any proceeds from the sale of your goods, and this then converts your goods into a cash donation. We can then claim Gift Aid on the sale amount, less the commission we have to charge for acting on your behalf.
Who can participate in the scheme?
To participate in the Retail Gift Aid Scheme you must be a UK taxpayer, and pay enough income tax and/or capital gains tax in the year to cover the Gift Aid claimed on all your donations to charities or community amateur sports groups in the tax year. Please note that should the tax you pay not cover the total Gift Aid claimed by all charities, it is your responsibility to pay any difference to HMRC.
What if my circumstances change?
You should contact us and withdraw from the scheme if:
- your circumstances have changed and you are no longer a taxpayer
- you do not pay enough income tax or capital gains tax to cover the Gift Aid claimed by all charities you donate to
- you no longer wish to participate in the scheme
What will you do with my data?
A copy of our Privacy Statement is available here.
Retail Gift Aid Terms and Conditions
By signing up to our Retail Gift Aid scheme you are confirming that:
- You wish Concern Worldwide (Northern Ireland) to claim tax on all donations you make in the future or have made in the past 4 years
- You are a UK taxpayer and understand that if you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in that tax year, it is your responsibility to pay any difference
- You wish Concern Worldwide to act as your agent in selling the goods you have brought into the shop, at a rate of 2% commission + VAT
- You are not acting as a business in bringing goods in for sale to any shops belonging to Concern Worldwide
- If the net sales proceeds from your goods is less than £1,000 in a tax year, the total amount raised will be gifted to Concern Worldwide (Northern Ireland) automatically as a donation eligible for Gift Aid. Concern Worldwide (Northern Ireland) will not notify you of the total amount raised before it claims Gift Aid on this amount
- If the net sales proceeds exceed £1,000, Concern Worldwide (Northern Ireland) will contact you to give you the opportunity to decide whether to donate the proceeds in excess of £1,000. You will have 21 days to let Concern Worldwide know if you wish to retain the additional amount. If you do not respond the excess net proceeds will be donated to Concern Worldwide (Northern Ireland) and Gift Aid will be claimed on that amount. If you have provided an email address, we will inform you by email but if the email fails we will need to inform you by post
- Your details will be shared with HMRC in order to enable us to make a Gift Aid claim. An annual End of Tax Year Statement will be sent to you as required by HMRC
- Any goods which cannot be sold will be recycled and cannot be returned to you
- We reserve the right to terminate this agreement at any time
Other ways to help
Give a one-off, or a monthly, donation today.
From mountain trekking to marathon running, join us for one of our many exciting outdoor events!
With an extensive range of alternative gifts, we have something to suit everybody.
Leave the world a better place with a life-changing legacy.
We partner with a range of organisations that share our passion and the results have been fantastic.
Raise money for Concern by organising your own charity fundraising event.